Japanese Visa Categories
for Foreign Residents
Overview of Japanese Visa Types
Foreign nationals residing in Japan require a visa as mandated by Japanese immigration law. There are currently 29 types of visas, categorized primarily into three groups: ① Work Visas for employment, ② Non-employment visas (like student visas), and ③ Spouse of a Japanese national visas. Each visa type comes with specific requirements, permissible activities, and durations of stay as defined by immigration laws.
Visas with Unrestricted Employment Opportunities
- Permanent Resident: This visa allows unrestricted work in Japan.
- Spouse or Child of Japanese National: Holders can work without restrictions.
- Spouse or Child of Permanent Residents: Similar work privileges as permanent residents.
- Long-Term Resident: Includes those who have been widowed, etc.
Visas with Employment Restrictions
- Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services Visa: For specific professional activities.
- Transferee Visa: For transferees from overseas office on secondment agreement.
- Business Manager Visa: For foreign entrepreneurs or executive managers.
- Highly Skilled Professional Visa: Targets those with specialized skills.
- Professor Visa: Specifically for university professors.
- Legal and Accounting Professionals Visa: For qualified lawyers and accountants.
- Care worker Visa: For those in the caregiving profession.
- Sports Coach and Athlete Visas: For professionals in sports.
- Religious Visa: For missionaries, nuns, and priests from overseas.
- Others: Including student, entertainer, etc.
The above-mentioned work visas do not permit so-called simple labour. Although there is no clear definition of simple labour, it refers to work that does not require a professional or technical background, such as education or work experience. The following types of work are considered by the Immigration Bureau to be simple labour.
Therefore, the new ‘Specified Skilled Worker visa’ allows people to work in occupations that were previously regarded as simple work in 14 industries.
Continental offers seamless assistance for all types of Japanese visas. Handling over 1000 consultations annually, Continental leverages its investment banking capabilities to remain your trusted advisor in navigating the complexities of Japanese immigration law. Whether you are an entrepreneur, senior management, academic, or athlete, Continental is equipped to guide you through the visa application process. Contact US TODAY.
Immigration consultant, Financial advisor
He has 18 years experience in Investment Banking at Mitsubishi UFJ Morgan Stanley. He had provided financial advisory more than 500 entrepreneurs and senior management.
He currently supports many foreign entrepreneurs in Japan, taking advantage of the experience of an investment banker. He is the best expert of Business VISA in Japan.
Gyoseishoshi Immigration Lawyer
CMA(Japanese financial analyst license)
CFP (Certified Financial Planner)
MBA in Entrepreneurship