How to get a business manager VISA?
1)investing 5 million JPY or more, 2)Office except your home, 3)Business Plan written in Japanese are required.
Requirement for Business Manager VISA
You need the following points to obtain a Business Manager VISA:
- Office for business except home
- Investment more than 5 million JPY for capital
- Sustainability for Business (Business Plan written in Japanese)
- Related career to your startup business
- Business Partner living in Japan (if you live abroad)
|①Office||You are reqired a business office except your home for applying a Business Manager VISA|
|②Capital||Investment more than 5 million JPY for capital|
|③Business sustainability||You must explain your business sustainability for Japanese Immigration Bureau on your business plan.|
|④Career||Related career to your STARTUP Business is required.|
|You need a business partner living in Japan if you live abroad.|
- In order to obtain business management visas, offices and stores must be secured for business use. The points to note are “contract in the name of a corporation” and “purpose for business use”.
- When subscribing to an office, you should first make a contract under your personal name and change the contract to the name of the newly established corporation within a few weeks, as the company has not yet been set up.
- If you do not obtain the consent of the change in advance from the landlord, you may not be able to change to a corporate contract, or you may be required to additionally pay a fee for changing the contract (such as 100,000 yen).
- As the purpose of use is often for residential use in a standard contract, in that case, it is necessary to have the contract changed for business use. (Contents of the contract will be reviewed at immigration)
- In addition, businesses are required to operate stably and continuously, so they need to have the necessary equipment and the appropriate office space.
- Also, it is important to note that when starting a business in a restaurant or nail salon, the owner himself is not allowed to cook or to perform nail treatments. This is because a business management visa is a status of residence for “management” of business.
- Therefore, it is necessary to have an office space in the store to work with a PC. It is not possible to work in a vacant seat or work in a space divided by a partition, so it is possible to choose a property with such space in advance, or to build or rent a small office space outside the store It will be necessary.
【Criteria of Business Office for Business Manager VISA】
- The name of the lease agreement is the name of the company that does the business (contract in the name of the person is NG)
- Use purpose is for business use (for home use is NG)
- Having the necessary personnel and equipment for the business
- Have the necessary equipment for business such as telephone, fax, PC, copy machine
- There is no monthly rental space or store cart
|Offices authorized by the Immigration Bureau||
○ Office (corporate contract)
○ Rental office (if there is an independent room)
○ Incubation office
|NOT permitted office||
× Home apartment (not even large property)
× Monthly apartment
× Virtual Office
× Borrowing between joint offices and other offices
× Vehicles such as trailers
- In principle, investment of at least 5 million yen is required to obtain a business management visa.
- The owner himself has to invest 5 million yen or more. Foreigners who apply for a management visa can only manage the business, so they must hire people who actually serve cooking and cooking, and staff who perform nail treatments.
Points to consider when deciding the amount of investment
- When deciding the amount to invest, you need to take into consideration (1) Business manager visa requirements, (2) Bank financing, (3) taxation, and (4) required licensing capital requirements.
|Business manager visa requirements|
It is necessary for foreigners starting a business to invest a total of 5 million yen or more.
× Applicant 3 million yen + Business partner A 2 million yen = 5 million
○ Applicant 5 million yen or more
Banks may ask whether they are preparing one-tenth to one-half their own funds for the business.
You should set the capital which is calculated back from the amount required for the business (own cash + loan amount).
If the capital at the time of establishment is less than 10 million yen, in principle, it is not necessary to pay the consumption tax in the business year of the year of establishment and the next business year.
The per capita rate of corporate resident tax is increased from ¥ 70,000 to ¥ 160,000 a year if the capital exceeds 10 million yen.
|required licensing capital requirements|
Depending on the project to be started, a permit may be required, and if the requirement for the permit is a capital requirement, the amount must be satisfied.
Example: 20 million yen for temporary staffing
Explanation of the process of forming the capital
- If you can not prepare 5 million yen with your own savings, there are many cases where you can borrow money from your parents or relatives in your home country.
- Even if you borrow capital from your parents or relatives, you can still obtain a management visa. However, it is necessary to submit to the Immigration Bureau “public documents showing relationships with parents and relatives, money consumption loan agreements, remittance records, and evidence documents showing income and property of parents and relatives.
- In addition, you may use the invested capital for business before applying for management visa.
It is necessary to explain to the Immigration Bureau firmly in the business plan about the continuity and stability of the business. At that time, it is necessary to explain about what is actually engaged in business management and the appropriateness of the business.
There is no interview to explain the business plan, so it is necessary to gain the understanding of the examiner only by the written business plan written in Japanese. Even if you are good at Japanese, there are not many people who are used to making business plans, so it works against the examination when the necessary items are not included or when the explanation is weak.
In addition, when renewal of business management visa, the situation of profit and loss and financial condition is examined. In case of a deficit, you have to submit a new business plan.
④A career that shows the reason for business and the feasibility of the business
In 2019, when the examination is getting tougher, the law does not specify it, but rational reasons for starting a business and the person’s career (carrier) for realizing the business plan will be emphasized in the examination. It was The Tokyo Immigration Bureau said, “Is it just that you want to start a business just because you want to stay in Japan?”, “When doing business stably and continuously Do you really have the ability to run a business? ”
Therefore, the manager’s history, reasons for starting business, business plans, evidence materials (basic contracts with business partners, etc.) must be unified and rational.
⑤Business Partner Living in Japan(if you live abroad)
If you live abroad, you need a business partner who lives in Japan and has a Japanese bank account in order to set up a company in Japan.You need a bank account in Japan for set up your company. You need to transfer capital to your bank account.However, if you do not have an account at a Japanese bank or the Tokyo branch of a foreign bank, you will not be able to transfer the capital for company establishment.
1) Therefore, you invite a business partner who lives in Japan to be a co-representative director of your company, invest capital in the bank account of that director, and register company establishment.
2) The co-representative director also contracts for an office in Japan.
3) Business partners will resign as co-president once preparations for company establishment are complete. (If necessary)
Examination period of business manager Visa
The review period for business management visas generally takes around three months from the application to the outcome. In addition, it may take more than three months when the immigration office is busy when the immigration office receives an instruction to submit additional documents.
The general flow of business management visa is as follows: business planning → company establishment → acquisition of permit → preparation for business management visa application (collection and preparation of evidence documents) → application to immigration office → examination → request for additional documents etc → It becomes notification of permission or disapproval. Therefore, it takes about one month to set up a company from business planning, about one month to prepare application documents for business management visa, and about three months from application to permission notice.
A total of around 4-5 months is a guideline, but it may take more time depending on the approval status and approval status. Therefore, it is recommended that you have some room for the schedule before starting the business and the funds until then.
Immigration consultant, Financial advisor
18 years experience in Investment Banking at Mitsubishi UFJ Morgan Stanley. He had provided financial advisory more than 500 entrepreneurs and senior management.
Gyoseishoshi Immigration Lawyer
CMA(Japanese financial analyst license)
CFP (Certified Financial Pllanner)
Master of Business Administration in Entrepreneurship(Hosei Business School)